67. William John5 Harvest (Charles6, John7, George8) was born in Smethwick, Stafford, England 10 October 1873. He
immigrated to New York in 1910. William died 19 September
1965 in New York, NY, at 91 years of age.
He married first
Ellen Garrett 21 January 1899 in the Parish Church of Bradeley, Stafford, England. Ellen was born about 1871 to John Garrett (engineer). He married second Emily Stock 22 April 1905 in New York, NY. Emily was born 3 July 1884 in Warwickshire
England and immigrated to New York in 1892. Emily was
the daughter of Peter Stock and Hannah Lewis. Emily died 8 May 1953 in Staten Island, New York, NY, at 68 years of age.
Her body was interred in Moravian Cem., Staten Island, NY. Notes:
- William's Mother, Jane, died when he was young. According to family lore,
he had differences with his Stepmother and left home at 11 years of age to start working in London.
- He joined the 4th Queen's Hussars on 21 Jan 1891 and served 12 years. Service record:
- 15 Jan 1891 to 9 Sep 1896 - Garrison duty/England
- 10 Sep 1896 to 7 Oct 1898 - India. Aide to Lt. Hugo Baring.
- 8 Oct 1898 to 14 Feb 1900 - Garrison duty/England
- 15 Feb 1900 to 3 Jan 1901 - South Africa. Participated in the following battles: Johannesburg, Diamond Hill, Wittebergen, and Cape Colony.
- 4 Jan 1901 to 15 Aug 1902 - Garrison duty/England
- 26 Aug 1902 to 14 Jan 1903 - Reserves
- His service with Winston Churchill in the 4th Hussars is recounted in "The Last Lion" by William Manchester.
- A few annecdotes about thier time together: When Winston Churchill was first assigned to the Hussars, William was told by the adjutant that there was
"a new officer coming" and that Harvest should "show him around" until he got his own men. Soon afterwards Churchill left the Hussars to join the
successful Tirah and Malakand expeditions in the northwest of India.
- They met up again in South Africa after Churchill escaped when he was captured while working as a journalist. Churchill invited Harvest to dinner
where they dined on bread and cheese. (from "Southampton woman recalls father's service" Springfield Union Jan 30, 1965
- In 1901 was (at 27) Butler to Ret. Lt. Hugo Baring of the 17th Lancers, son of Edward Baring Lord Revelstoke. Great Great Uncle of Princess of Wales Diana Spencer
late wife of Charles, Prince of Wales.
- After the war, he worked for a Canadian as a Valet on board ship, and traveled throughout the world.
- Although he frequently travelled to and from the United States, he officially immigrated on 25 Oct 1910, arriving in New York on 6 Nov 1910.
- He applied to be naturalized on 1 Jan 1922, was approved 23 Feb 1927, and was granted citizenship 9 Apr 1928.
- He moved from 27 E 62nd Street, Manhattan, to 303 Poultney St., Woodland Terrace, Staten Island, NY after 1940 where he lived until his death in 1965.
William John Harvest and Emily Stock had the following children:
William John Ash4 Harvest was born in New York, NY 27 November 1906.
William died 18 June 1980 at 73 years of age. He married Hazel Ranahan. Hazel was born 20
April 1908. Hazel died 22 December 1990 in Burbank, CA, at 82 years of age. He served in the Army from 5 Feb 1944 to 7 Dec 1945 and
afterwards worked in the Insurance Industry. He died from
complications with a Brain Tumor.
Dorothy Evelyn Harvest was born 3 May 1909.
Emily Elizabeth Harvest was born in New York, NY 10 October 1912. Emily died 28 February 1982 at 69 years
of age. She married Jeremiah Joseph Mulcahy 17 December 1932. Jeremiah was born 7 December 1902.
Jeremiah was the son of Joseph Mulcahy and Catherine O'Malley. Jeremiah died 1 January 1956 at 53 years of age. Emily died
from complications related to Cervical or Uterine cancer.
Send email to preparer: firstname.lastname@example.org
Return to Table of Contents or Index
Go to Next Page
Go to Previous Page